By Calvin Palmer
Three men died today while cleaning a sewer at a waste transfer station in the Queens district of New York.
Fire crews were called to the Regal Recycling Co in Jamaica this afternoon but the workers were dead by the time they arrived.
Officials say two of the men went into an 18-feet deep manhole to check it out. When they did not return, the third worker went down to investigate.
It is not clear whether the men died as result of toxic fumes of whether they drowned in water at the bottom of the manhole.
Joy Faber a spokeswoman for ConEdison said the New York Fire Department had requested two “vacuum trucks,” which are generally used to remove debris from manholes.
“The rescue was called off and the equipment never arrived at the location because the men had died,” she said.
The identities of the dead workers have not been released.