Cook loses both hands trying out recipe with liquid nitrogen

By Calvin Palmer

A German cook’s experiment to concoct a “molecular gastronomy” dish with liquid nitrogen ended in an explosion last night that cost him both his hands.

The 24-year-old man, from Stahnsdorf, near Berlin, was attempting to try out a new recipe from the school of molecular cooking, which aims to apply scientific processes to gastronomy.

The house of his girlfriend’s mother was rocked by an enormous explosion, which blew off one of the man’s hands. The other was so badly injured that it had to be amputated.

He was taken to a hospital in Marzahn. His condition is said to be life-threatening and he is on a life support machine in the intensive care unit.

He claimed he was trying to fill a gas lighter but his girlfriend later admitted he had been trying to empty a canister of liquid nitrogen in the bathroom.

Criminal investigators secured the remains of a nitrogen flask, bits of clothing, flesh and bits of skin from the scene.

[Based on a report by the Berliner Morgenpost.]

Add to Technorati Favorites

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Europe, Health, News

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s