Dying model told emergency operator boyfriend had stabbed her to death

By Calvin Palmer

Teenage model and actress Amy Leigh Barnes told an emergency services operator that her boyfriend had just stabbed her “to death”, Manchester Crown Court heard today.

Barnes, 19, managed to make the call moments after Ricardo Morrison, 21, had allegedly attacked her with a kitchen knife and left her for dead.

Stuart Driver, QC, prosecuting, told the jury Barnes had been staying with Morrison at her grandmother’s home when the attack happened.

She phoned 999 and told the operator: “I’m dying. He’s stabbed me to death. I’m dying. Please help me.”

The operator asked who had stabbed her, and she replied: “My boyfriend”.

Driver said the relationship had developed “serious problems”

An analysis of her mobile phone suggests she sent texts on the day of her murder telling him that their relationship was over, saying  “You are out of my life for good” and accusing him of being a “woman beater”. She then contacted Vodafone to ask them to cut off the phone which Morrison was using.

The court heard that Morrison first attacked Barnes that day by punching her, spraying her with an aerosol and jamming her in the door before locking her in and heading into the centre of Bolton.

Barnes, who had modeling assignments for Cosmopolitan and Nuts magazines and had appeared on the Channel 4 soap opera Hollyoaks, telephoned her parents who agreed to come and let her out of the house and take her home with them but they were too late.

Just minutes after she ended the call Morrison struck again, launching a second fatal attack.

When her father arrived to collect her he found his daughter at the bottom of the stairs, a pool of blood beneath her.

She had suffered a 10cm slash across the face and five stab wounds to her chest and five to her back, the court was told.

As details of her wounds were told to the jury, Morrison ran from the dock and towards the cells and the hearing had to be temporarily adjourned but resumed after 20 minutes.

Morrison acknowledges putting Barnes in the recovery position when he arrived home, but claims the murder was carried out by someone else.

The court heard that Morrison then went to the home of his mother, Melda Wilks, 49, a police constable with the West Midlands Constabulary, who lived in Rubery, near Birmingham.

She helped him to wash the clothes he had been wearing, in including a distinctive black and red Adidas jacket.

Driver said her job as a police officer meant she was acutely aware of the importance of forensic evidence. Her duties with the West Midlands force included giving school lectures on knife crime.

Morrison denies murder. His mother denies assisting an offender. The trial continues.

[Based on reports by The Daily Telegraph and The Times.]

Add to Technorati Favorites


Leave a comment

Filed under Justice, News, United Kingdom

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s